I am sure you are all aware of the COVID 19 pandemic by now. If not, please read on to find out more about this highly contagious virus and what steps you can take to ensure your children remain healthy during this period of time.
COVID 19 is a relatively new disease that has been spreading quickly in various parts of the world, including Singapore. To make matters worse, there have been reports that some vaccines against COVID 19 are currently unavailable due to manufacturing delays. What should we do? How can we keep our children safe from COVID 19 while they wait for their vaccinations? Let’s explore these questions and provide possible solutions below!
1. Wash your hands often with soap and water to prevent the spread of COVID 19.
Be sure not to touch your nose, eyes, or mouth when you are washing! Using anti-bacteria soap will remove 99.99% of the germs.
Key Times to Wash Hands
During this time, washing your hands is key. It helps you avoid sickness and can prevent spreading it too. Here are some times when it’s best to wash up:
- Before, during, and after preparing food
- Before and after eating food
- Before and after caring for someone at home who is sick with vomiting or diarrhea
- Before and after treating a cut or wound
- After using the toilet
- After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet
- After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- After touching an animal, animal feed, or animal waste
- After handling pet food or pet treats
- After touching garbage
2. Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze
This will prevent the virus from spreading to other people. Cover your mouth if you cough. If there’s a tissue nearby, cough into it then dispose of used tissues in the nearest trashcan.
3. Stay home if you’re sick, and keep away from others as much as possible.
Do not take any chances! If there are any symptoms, stay home and call a doctor. They will know what to do with you.
4. Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
You may be surprise how important water is for our health. Simply because water makes up more than 70% of our body mass. Simple methods of staying watered include drinking lots of water or consuming hydrating foods like fruits and vegetables.
5. Practice good hygiene by washing your hands frequently, covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing, and cleaning surfaces that may be contaminated with germs.
The virus usually spreads through airborne droplets, so it’s important to protect your child from COVID 19 by practicing good hygiene. Make sure that you and your children wash their hands frequently with soap and water. This helps reduce the spread of germs which may be carried on surfaces or in other people’s bodily fluids (such as saliva).
We all need to take our part to prevent the spread of COVID 19. With all these safety measures in place, we will be able to overcome this pandemic as the vaccines starts to be available for more and more people in Singapore.